An annual award of $1000.00 to help Greek Orthodox women
pursue studies that will lead to, enhance, or extend careers in business.
Background and Purpose: Helen Apostolos, a remarkable woman who overcame the cultural and gender biases of her era, followed her passion and created and managed successful businesses well into her ninth decade. A devout member of the Greek Orthodox Church, she was an equally committed member of the Ladies Philoptochos Society for more than 50 years. Her goddaughter created this scholarship to celebrate Helen’s life by helping women who share not only her career goals, but also her commitment to faith and community service.
Eligible Applicants must be:
• Baptized in the Greek Orthodox Church*
• Accepted by, or enrolled in, an accredited educational institution/program of study; and
• In, or about to initiate, a course of study directly related to a career in business.
* Note that preference will be given to congregants of Saint Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral.
How to Apply:
Download the Application Form from the Philoptochos page of the Saint Sophia Cathedral website or click on www.saintsophiadc.org/ministries/philoptochos/. Send your completed application as a PDF attachment in an email with the subject line reading “Apostolos Scholarship Application” to PhiloptochosDC@gmail.com no later than midnight on the 31st of March.
• A signed and completed copy of the application form;
• Proof of baptism or chrismation as a Greek Orthodox Christian;
• Proof of acceptance to, or enrollment in. an accredited educational institution or program directly related to a career in business;
• Personal statement of intent; and
• At least one letter of recommendation.
Selection and Award: All applications will be examined by an Evaluation Panel of educators and business people (appointed by the President of the Philoptochos Society of Saint Sophia), who will rank them on the basis of the extent to which each reflects the purpose of the Scholarship and select that year’s awardee. The Panel will provide the results to the President of the Philoptochos Society of Saint Sophia, who will announce the awardee no later than Graduate Sunday in May. The Panel has the discretion to not award a scholarship if it determines no applicant satisfies the purpose of the scholarship. Scholarship funds will be provided directly to the awardee’s educational institution in accordance with their administrative procedures. An applicant may receive more than one scholarship award, but not in successive years.